Monday, June 8, 2015

Back in the Bay

I bet you thought you you'd be done with me. This is the last one, I promise.

I've been back in the Golden State for almost two weeks now and it's been just that--golden. I had a wonderful five months abroad in Europe. I experienced many different cultures and foods, practiced my French a good deal, and have made friendships I've brought back with me to the United States. I wouldn't trade the last five months for anything.

While I was traveling, I talked to many of my friends who had previously studied abroad and they warned me about how difficult assimilating back to their American lives was for them. And while I loved my time in Europe, I didn't see that happening to me. Do I miss Bordeaux? Yes. Do I want to go back to France in the near future? Yes. Do I feel like a stranger in San Francisco? NO.

I am back in San Francisco for the summer, interning for Dodge & Cox in the Bank of America building. I can see the Transamerica Pyramid and the Bay Bridge out the window of my office on the 39th floor, and while they aren't the Eiffel Tower, the view is still pretty great. And while I miss the Bordeaux wines, the chocolatines, and the fromage, I am happy to be back in the land of burritos, avocados, and acai bowls.

Dr. Seuss was right, oh the places I went. But even better is the place I came home to. I'll be back for France someday, but for now, I'm enjoying the city by the bay.

Au revoir!




Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment